Node.js / Express app generator: with ES.next, API validation, documentation, logging, and more
[Take me to the app generator]
I am currently focused on a few node.js services. When starting out, I quickly found myself scaffolding the same basic node.js app for each new service.
“Makes sense, right? I’m working on a bunch of node.js services. I should keep them consistent”.
Each new service requires structured logging, environment based configuration, API validation, API documentation, a transpilation pipeline and so forth. I repeat myself each time I create a new service. Repetition doesn’t sit well with me…
The generator scaffolds a consistent, fully functional REST API. It takes just seconds to generate. I get to focus my time on new code.
The generator includes the following:
– Express.js – a fast, unopinionated , minimalist web framework for node.js.
– Bunyan – a simple and fast JSON logging module for node.js services.
– dotenv – Loads environment variables from .env for node.js projects.
– Backpack – a minimalistic build system for node.js.
– Swagger – a simple yet powerful representation of your RESTful API.
– SwaggerUI – dynamically generated, beautiful documentation and sandbox from a Swagger-compliant API.
– Cloud Ready – deploy to any cloud. A CloudFoundry and Bluemix example provided. See README
If you’re building microservices or even if your not. Give the express-no-stress generator a try.
You can get started here.
It just might help 😀